Happy October, But Don’t Be Scared...
Posted October 06, 2020.
Happy “Tooth’s-day” from us to you!
It’s October, the month of “scares” and changing seasons. It’s also National Dental Hygiene Awareness Month so we are providing you with some dental and preventative health this this week.
Are you suffering with “MASKNE?”
My wife and I were just talking about this during the past week as she was noticing irritation on her skin from frequent mask wearing. I guess I’m so used to wearing a mask doing dentistry that I haven’t notified any difference. But if you are having skin issues or acne from mask wearing, Dr. Harry Dao, a dermatology at Lima Linda University shares some insight on this:
Dr. Dao says “maskne isn’t a new phenomenon, as medical professionals who have worn masks can attest to this pesky skin problem, but the condition has become more widespread amongst the general population.”
He offers 6 care tips you can use today to protect your face from mask irritation.
- Wash your face first – Use a gentle cleanser that is free of fragrance and oil and rinse with lukewarm water. “This prevents dirt and oil from being trapped on the skin surface, which cause breakouts,” Dao says. “Your face should always be clean before you put on your mask.”
- Apply a moisturizer – Not only will this keep your skin hydrated, it will also act as a barrier between your face and your mask, reducing friction. Apply onto a cleansed face before and after wearing a mask. Dao says to look for moisturizers that contain ceramides, hyaluronic acid, or dimethicone, which will provide extra protection. Take care to avoid fragrances amongst other common contact allergens. This may take trial and error to find the right formulation for your skin type.
- Ditch the makeup – Wearing skin makeup under a mask causes clogged pores and breakouts, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Makeup residue will also soil your mask.
- Wash your mask – If wearing a cotton mask wash it after each use as its surface contains dirt and oil and can become a breeding ground for bacteria from your nose and mouth.
- Choose a fragrance-free laundry soap – Fragrances can irritate your skin — skip the fabric softener, too.
- Stay away from harsh products – Medicated skin care products that contain benzoyl peroxide, retinols and salicylic acid will be more irritating to the skin under a mask — be careful about how much and what you use.
I hope this helps your skin and face feel great.
Also, here’s a great fall recipe from Macheesmo.com that we ran across that you should try and let us know how you like it!
Prep Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
Pumpkin Curry Rice Bowls made from scratch with a real pumpkin! Skip the puree and you’ll be well-rewarded. Don’t worry. It isn’t even that hard!
1 medium pie pumpkin, roasted
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2-3 tablespoons red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup water (opt.)
Rice, for serving
Dr. Tyler Williams, D.D.S.
P.S. Are you coming to our open house on October 13th? If you haven’t registered yet, please do so here. We’ll have refreshment, door prizes and small group tours of our new office. See you there!